Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Story

So here's the short(er) version of how Jonathan's birthday went. We had an induction scheduled for the 3rd. Brent and I arrived a little after 6 and here I am in bed waiting for my pitocin and epidural.
They started my pitocin around 8 I think, and things were going very smoothly. I got my epidural soon after, and then it was time to just wait. A little while later, three nurses came rushing into the room, put an oxygen mask on me, and started rolling me from side to side. Jonathan's heart rate had suddenly dropped into the 50s. A good heart rate for a baby is in the 130s. They called Dr. Harrison, and by the time he arrived a few minutes later, Jonathan's heart rate was back up. We'll never know for sure why the rate dropped like that, but he's fine now. He could have just grabbed the umbilical cord and squeezed really hard. Anyway, they turned off the pitocin for about 30 minutes to be safe, and then started me back on it really, really slowly. So finally, at 1:58 he arrived. It was a really easy delivery, and my recovery has been pretty quick.

Here's a picture of me meeting Jonathan Jackson for the first time.



Dr. Harrison and Jonathan




my nurse, Jennifer















You may remember that this is a baby day tradition in our family. I was starving by the time he was delivered, so as soon as we could, we opened the box.



Gigi and Papack had stayed with Andrew and Coleman at our house. Because of the swine flu panic, and cold and flu season in general, the hospital won't allow anyone under 15 years of age to visit. So Nana and Pop-O went to keep Andrew and Cole while Gigi and Papack came to meet Jonathan. They also brought us lunch from Zaxby's.







Then, that evening Nana and Pop-O came to meet Jonathan.







Here's Jonathan at some point that afternoon. Look at how he's holding up his head! Andrew and Coleman both had good head control very early too, but not on the day they were born. We think he's trying to hurry up and catch up with his brothers. After hearing them for the last nine months, he probably thinks he'll miss all the fun if he doesn't.





More to come. . .

5 comments:

Robin said...

Congrats Paige and Brent! I am so happy for you! What a wonderful Christmas blessing.

Anonymous said...

I have been watching each day to see how you were doing. I am glad to hear from you and see pictures of your family.

Happy Holidays,

Holly Hoyle

Landon, Lauren, Jaidyn, and Weston said...

He is beautiful, Paige! You look great! Congrats!

Tina said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your story! I love knowing the details. I know you hated that the older brothers weren't allowed at the hospital. Can't wait to read more.

Tina said...

BTW I love the new family pic on the top right of your blog. :-)