Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Treats and Tricks

I thought I'd better record a few funnies that have happened around here lately.

Andrew does not have snack at preschool on Tuesday and Thursday. On those mornings, I give him a bigger breakfast so he's not starving by lunchtime. We typically have oatmeal with raisins or cheese grits and then a piece of fruit or some kind of toast. Lately we've been having cinnamon toast which is usually a big hit. Well, last week, I was out of bread on Tuesday morning. I thought that Andrew wouldn't notice if we just skipped the toast. I was wrong. He finished his oatmeal and then asked what else we were having. The ONLY thing I could find was a brown sugar and cinnamon pop tart. (Originally bought for an after supper treat for me and Brent. The boys had never had or heard of a pop tart.)

I cut one in half and took it over to them. They were pretty quiet while they ate. I figured they thought the pop tarts were okay. So Andrew finishes with his, brings his dishes to the sink and is waiting for me to wipe off his hands and face. Here's our conversation:

A - "So Mommy, just exactly where do you keep those pop tarts?"
M - "In the pantry."
A - "Are they on the bottom or middle shelf?"


Now for a Coleman tale. This morning we went to Michael's in Buford. The boys did a great job in a place that is not super child friendly. At one point, we were walking through the store looking for the bathroom. Andrew was riding on the side of the cart, and Coleman was walking behind us. We got to the Halloween decorations, and there was a six foot goblinish creature standing in the aisle. He had skeleton hands and face, and was wearing clothes. Cobwebs were hanging from him and I don't know what all else. I thought he was just a statue. I didn't point him out to Andrew because I knew he was a pretty scary looking fellow. Coleman, however, went right up to him.

When I turned around, I saw Cole shaking/touching the hand. The thing had a motion sensor, and it came to life! It started playing some music and talking and moving. Cole was trying to be brave, not taking his eyes off the thing, but moving as quickly as he could toward where I was. He got to me and when I picked him up, he got a death grip on my neck. I kept telling him, "It's okay. He's just pretend. He won't hurt you." Cole kept telling me, " 'Cary! 'Cary! Don't touch. He bite you!!"

No comments: