Monday, July 6, 2009

Where Everybody Knows Your Name


There have been a few times in the last ten days when I've realized all over again that Gainesville is indeed a small place. It's not Mayberry small, but it's the smallest place we've ever lived.

The first week we were in town, I overheard an incredible conversation between a grocery clerk and a customer on the phone. We were in Green's Grocery, a local establishment of 59 years. (Incidentally, my great aunt used to shop there years ago.) Anyway, we were checking out (cash or check only) and the phone rang. The checker answered it and this is what I heard on his end.

"Green's Grocery, may I help you. . .No ma'am. I haven't unloaded the freezer yet, but there's a lot of stuff in there. . . Yes ma'am, I'm sure there is, I just haven't gotten to it yet. . . Yes ma'am. I'll call you as soon as I get to it. . . Thank you. It was nice talking to you too Mrs. Smith. Have a good day."

I was really impressed with his manners! He didn't act the least bit aggravated, even after he got off the phone. Green's isn't the kind of place I can do all my shopping, but you can be sure I'll be back often.

Today, this was in the newspaper. And yes, I bought multiple copies.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww...I'd call and be his new patient...if only I lived closer. That is so exciting!!! I hope you guys are settling in nicely. Can't wait to see lots of pictures of your new place! ~Shannon S.