Monday, June 8, 2009

Another Milestone

Last Thursday morning, we did something we'd been waiting to do for nine years. Brent graduated from residency! The ceremony was at the hospital, and thanks to Hilary who kept the boys, I was able to go. There were various awards given, attending physicians recognized, and each third year resident was given a diploma. Dr. Lichstein, the program chair, had nice things to say about each resident. I felt a little conspicuous taking pictures, but after nine years, I decided it didn't matter. I did stop short of getting Brent to pose with his attendings though. I thought that might be a little over the top.

Here's Brent's slide as Dr. Lichstein introduced him.


Dr. Lichstein, Dr. DuBose (Internal Medicine Chair), and Dr. Archer.

It was a really special morning, and I'm so glad I got to go. And yes, I cried a little. It was very overwhelming to sit there and remember all the way back to Tuscaloosa in May of 2000 when we started this journey. All the friends we've made and left behind on the way. All the encouragement we've received. All the sacrifices and struggles. All the call nights, exams, and tough schedules. All the hilarioius medical stories we've heard and experienced. All the incredible ways God has shown Himself to us throughout this journey. And now it's over. So I cried a little. But just a little. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Brent...and his biggest supporter, you! I remember the lunch we had 9 years ago when you told me this journey was beginning. I'm so proud of both of you, and now it is time to reap the benefits of your hard work! ~Shannon

Robin said...

Congrats Brent (and Paige)! One more year for us. God has certainly been faithful to us all.

Tina said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! What an accomplishment - for both of you. I'm sure you are anxious to start the next chapter of your lives.